Thursday, September 27, 2007

Indie Pop Is Not Dead!

REVIEW: Sunset Rubdown-Random Spirit Lover(Jagjaguar)






So when I was at CD Trader a couple of days ago I picked up the new album by Sunset Rubdown, it was cheap and I liked their second one. This one might be better. The sounds are virtually the same; keyboards, wavering vocals, quirky and sharp guitar lines, and odd little flourishes of percussion. Same deal on this one, only bigger. The songs are longer have multiple parts and they play with silence quite well. His vocals where they should annoy me given my current taste in vocals instead sound earnest and they invoke something from my past. The base melodies are very simple yet melodic which gives each player room to play around the repeated patterns mostly coming from some form of synth.
Oddly enough this album reminds me of baseball it's not just because i just got back from seeing the dodgers a few nights ago but it really does have this kind of summer night organ wafting through the air kind of carelessness about it, it reminds me of fireworks and old timey shit. The first track reminds me of deerhoof a little mixed with a lot of frog eyes, you can hear a lot of frog eyes in this also you can hear some xiu xiu and a lot of medievel influences with the use of flutes and harpsichords. The album has kind of a retro look towards the future kind of thing going on. There is one part in the song "Colt stands up, grows horns" where it completely apes the theme to Halloween I think and it's exceptionally creepy but damn effective in creating a mood. Elsewhere the album takes the whole big is better Arcade Fire kinda thing and improves upon the formula making it intimate yet with a wide scope at the same time and I feel that is a feat to be proud of.
Every track is excellent with a few standouts namely track 6 that I mentioned before and "Up on your leopard, upon the end of your feral days" both are the best tracks but the whole album is pretty much blowing me away. Thank you Sunset Rubdown for not fucking Indie Pop up and keeping it alive for a little while longer.

No comments: